Many support teams make the mistake of trying to combine customer support and customer training resources into the same article. To understand the difference between customer support and customer training, read here.
The primary role of a customer support article to get a customer unstuck. When customers are stuck they do one of two things:
- They search for an answer in your knowledge base, or
- They contact support (and support searches for an answer)
Either way, someone will be searching for an answer in your knowledge base. If you cram multiple answers into a single article then you make it harder for your customers to find those answers.
Maybe you have an invoicing application. Here are some questions that a customer might have:
- How do I create an invoice?
- How do I create a repeating invoice?
- How do I delete an invoice?
- How do add a credit to an invoice?
Now, a good training resource might contain all of this information in the same article. But in a customer support situation the customer will be better served by having them in separate articles. They will be able to find their answer and will know that they found their answer faster if you split up the answers into separate articles.